In the field of semiconductor technology, coatings on silicon substrates are required, and these can be produced with the aid of Chemical Vapour Deposition. In the case of silicon nitride and silicon oxynitride, the coating must be created through the thermal decomposition of gases which contain all of the required materials. Only with the Chemical Vapour Deposition process is it possible to produce products which fulfil these special requirements.
Due to their outstanding physical and chemical stability, CVT’s products are therefore used in the field of crystal growing for the semiconductor industry as well as in the vaporisation of pure metals under ultra-high vacuum at temperatures of up to 1,500°C in molecular beam epitaxy (MBE). In addition, CVT’s crucibles, dishes or finished plates and rings made of pyrolytic boron nitride or pyrolytic graphite are also used in the manufacture of photovoltaic modules.
Applications for products made of pyrolytic boron nitride include:
- Vaporisation of pure metals in ultra-high vacuum, for example with the aid of Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE)
- Vertical Gradient Freeze (VGF) process
- Vertical Bridgman (VB) and Horizontal Bridgman (HB) process
- Liquid Encapsulated Czochralski (LEC) crystal growing
- Manufacture of active layers in the production of photovoltaic cells
- Manufacture of OLED products
- Purification of rare earths or other metals